Sunday, January 23, 2011

Installing Ubuntu 10.4 dual boot with windows 7

I just finished installing Ubuntu 10.4 on my new laptop which has windows 7. I will not go into details of how to install Ubuntu 10.4 step by step. Its as simple as follows:

"Insert the boot able CD of Ubuntu and restart the machin and boot from the CD and follow the instruction........." Only important thing is to select the side by side installation.

Even after selecting side by side installation option. It gives me following error BOOTMGR missing as follows :
I googled the problem for long time...and only solution I found it to take Windows 7 boot able CD and boot from CD and click "Repair your computer"...But I don't have windows 7 CD and more then that i have installed Ubuntu and its operating system and it should have some tool to deal with it.and it has a tool called GRUB. GRUB is boot loader package from the GNU Project.for linux OS. which a user the choice to boot one of multiple operating systems installed on a computer, or select a specific kernel configuration available on a particular operating system's partitions. You can learn on more on GRUB here

In my case basic problem was menu.lst file which is the config file for GRUB was missing. so after using following command problem was solved.

sudo update -GRUB

2 comments:

Amit Pande said...

I too have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on top of Windows 7 (Basic) on my notebook and for a change it worked like a charm , no issues at all !

Sanket Kulkarni said...

Strange,How did u create the partitions? I did it with Windows partition manger..Some says this issue is because of that.